Friday, August 22, 2008

Back in the Saddle

So Thursday, I finally got to my first spin class. Okay, that's not true. I went one other time, about six months ago. I think my poor brain is trying to blot out the experience. Not that this one was much better. I am stronger from the weight lifting classes I've been taking, which made it less difficult, but it's really hard to get that "feel good" feeling when your butt is flapping behind you like a jello mold in a sack whenever you take a downstroke... or an upstroke... or stand up on the bike... or -- nevermind; you get what I'm saying. You'd think, though, with all that flab, that seat would be a little more comfortable.

While definitely not the best feeling in the world, it's just like all the other classes I've taken: go back and it will get better. If it gets better, then I'm getting what I need, right? I feel a little lousy that the whole time my resistance was barely cranked over, and the instructor -- an insanely cute, adorably sweet, tiny little blond who started out class by saying "Wow, it's such a shame to be inside today; it's perfect outside for a nice 20 miles" -- kept screaming things like, "Now give that knob just one more half turn!" Of course this is 20 minutes into the class, after I realized if I even looked mine too much, I couldn't get the wheels to turn.

But again, every class will get better.

So after 45 minutes of spin (350 calories), another 10 minutes of ab work, I decided to go home, have some dinner with my hubby, and then go dancing. I got my heartbeat up pretty good there, too. Cha-cha, salsa, swing... even the tango is a good workout (150 calories). All in all, I think I did some good work for myself yesterday.

In other news, I had an ultrasound yesterday, too. (Yeah, I was a busy girl.) I have a cyst on one of my ovaries. It's about 3cm, and my ovary is swollen to three times its normal size. It's supposed to go away on its own -- in about a month. It's no big deal, really. It's just uncomfortable from time to time. But I'm also hoping this mad hormonalness has contributed to my excessive weight gain lately.

Today is yoga, though, so I need to throw in some aerobics or weightlifting on top of it. I'm dressed, my kid is dressed, and even somewhat packed up, so as long as I don't fall asleep, I should be able to make it to the gym.

1 comment:

The Stein Family said...

Yikes --cyst? That's scary, how's that going now?