Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Living the Single [Mom] Life

Ugh. I know since I quit working that I've really lost track of time, including days of the week. So since the hubby left on Sunday, and I've been entertaining The Avanator 24/7. Since her naps are somewhat abbreviated -- now we're down to one two-hour nap, on the incredible days -- it gets a little taxing. Especially when considering she gets up early (before me is early) and goes to bed somewhat late. Tonight it was 10pm, and that was nearly miraculous. Sunday night was a midnight bedtime -- NOT my idea -- and last night was 11pm. Tonight I actually got to pretend I have a life and watched five back-to-back episodes of The New Adventures of The Old Christine, soaked my poor feet, and then remembered I forgot to eat dinner.

I think if I were a single mom, I'd KILL to have a job for some "down time"... The hubby gets home tomorrow, and then stays for almost a whole 24 hours before he heads back out for another business trip. He said, "Well at least I don't have an out-of-town girlfriend." You know what? If he did have one, I'd probably be fine with it, as long as he took the booger with him.

Ugh. What a week. I love the booger, I really do, but... she's a little high maintenance in the entertainment area. I caught myself thinking tonight, "Well, at least the week's almost over." And then this voice in my head popped in and said, "Honey, I hate to break it to you, but it's only Tuesday."

It's not all bad, of course. We played today and had a pretty good time. I handled things a little better not being quite so sick... and my parents are coming up to handle her for the weekend. But it's just so consuming.

This weekend will be slammed too. The Mini Match is on Saturday, squeezed in between two days of autocrossing. It's the largest autocross event of the year, in conjunction with another region. We're expecting over 215 drivers. It's going to be insane. So on Friday, I have my last lesson before the Match, drive to Laurens to prep for Saturday morning, go home, and then get up Saturday morning, to be in Laurens at 8am (or earlier). I leave just after lunch to go put on my dress, makeup, and do my hair, for the Match, drive directly to the Greenville Country Club, dance until 6:30pm or so, and then head home, pass out, and head back to the autocross the next morning, again at 8am.

WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING???

I had to cancel my dance lesson on Monday because I was sick, and didn't really have a babysitter for Ava. When she was younger -- and less mobile -- I took her with me to the lessons, but now she's all over the place. So I'm a little worried/anxious.

Ugh. What a week this is shaping up to be.

3 comments:

The Stein Family said...

Glad you're feeling a little better...I have to say it's weird hearing things from you like "put on my dress, makeup, and do my hair"...umm, dress?...makeup?...and I'm assuming 'doing your hair' doesn't mean a loose ponytail this time...Ahh, Noellie's growing up!
As for the single mom thing -- I'm wrapping up my 4th month on the job, and let's just say I never thought I'd have to pull it off and still be married. Calgon, take me away!!!!!

Southern Tiger said...

It's for the Match. Believe me, still not normal procedure. But my dress is all sparkly. I'll post a pic if I get one taken...

The Stein Family said...

GET ONE TAKEN -- you're under orders now -- I want to see!!!!!!